Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Behind this blog's title


Several years ago I was having a conversation with the creative director of a print advertising company.  After a few minutes the creative director mentioned how difficult it must be "to go hat-in-hand and beg for money."  A description I dislike - a lot.

"No" I responded, "That's not how its done. When you have a good cause with a compelling need, delivered in a thoughtful, and professional way - there is no begging. My hands are always empty - and I never carry a hat."

My remark, granted a bit forceful, was met with a momentary blank stare, complete with blinking eyes, and a quiet, thoughtful expression. A few more silent moments passed, cocking his head he remarked, "empty handed giving - an interesting concept."

That conversation provided the phrase that, when properly understood, is the essence of everything that we believe and embrace. GPB Associates LLC works everyday to share professionalism and ideas that work in nonprofit fundraising.


Perhaps what is shared will ring true to you. Check in regularly. I invite your thoughts, remarks and questions.  Sharing is key to learning. I learn from experience and others everyday.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment